Westchester architect

Architects in Westchester NY, Michael McCann Westchester architect, architects Westchester county,

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Architect with Residential building experience


In attending seminars and meeting with other architects, I often discuss the fact that I have been both an architect and a builder, contrary to the experience of most architects. In addition, architects will assume that I have just supervised the building of a project. What really astounds them is that I have actually build many of my projects. Yes, I have wielded a hammer! In spending the beginning of my architectural career not only designing my work, but also physically building it, I got an intimate knowledge of construction methods and procedures. So often there is a disconnect between the the architect's design and the ability to actually get the project built. In addition, when you also build what you have designed, the architect must order every board and nail and has first hand experience with construction costs. As the builder you then understand that projects cannot be easily broken down by cost per square foot in generalized terms. Having to pay for the materials, the subcontractors and the attending overhead such as liability and workers comp insurance provides an invaluable education as to construction costs. The combined experience as both architect and builder has provided a unique prospective that most architects never understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment